- As part of the 2020 State Budget (OE2020) there will be a fresh capital injection of €180 million to the National Healthcare Service which is intended to strengthen healthcare, particularly in complementary means of diagnosis and therapy.
- Extra Social Security pension increase
The extraordinary increase in lower pensions (between six and ten euros) will take effect one month after the OE2020 is given final approval. The one-off update will be 10 euros.
- Reduction of university tuition
In the academic year 2020/2021, the maximum tuition charge will be limited to €697. In 2019, the highest tuition reinforcement was €871. This tuition drop corresponds to a 20% hike in support when compared to the previous school year fees.
- Suspension of the construction of the Lisbon Metro Circular Line
The construction project for Lisbon’s projected Circular Metro line has been suspended in order to conduct technical and economic viability studies that will allow for a comparative assessment between an extension to Alcântara and the Circular Line .
- 10% IRS for foreign pensioners and end of “Golden Visas” in Lisbon and Porto
An amendment to the tax regime for Non Habitual Residents (NHR) provides for the application of a 10% minimum tax on foreign pension income. Golden Visas are also limited to real estate investments in interior municipalities or in the autonomous regions of the Azores and Madeira.
- Free daycare centres for 56,000 children
Parliament has approved a proposal that guarantees tuition relief for those children in daycare who are most in need. Over 56,000 of Portugal’s most needy children will be eligible for this financial support.